Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Deadly Class

Rick Remender has been my favorite writer in both 2015 & 2016 and he's now well on his way into the third years of "Deadly Class" (Artist: Wes Craig) and "Black Science" (Artist: Matteo Scalera) with an inspired first arc of "Seven To Eternity"  (Artists: Jerome Opena & James Harren) just wrapped up.  

It's an exciting time to be reading comics in general, but Remender's books remain unique and interesting long after their launches because of his top notch artistic collaborators and consistent ability to craft a satisfying and emotionally authentic long form story.  "Black Science" has recently been transformed into a story far beyond its original premise and while I'm loving that turn, "Deadly Class" is still my favorite because of the grounded 1980s setting, the strong character work, the music & pop culture commentary, genuinely shocking twists, and the increasingly inventive one-man-tour-de-force art from Wes Craig.  

Here's a little something I worked up with Saya, Willie, Marcus, & Maria.  I love this gang almost as much as I love the cast of David Lapham's "Stray Bullets"and that's saying something (no one beats that merry band of scumbags, degenerates, and reprobates for my heart, not ever)...

Check out my comic book, Spinner-Rack #1 (80 Pages / Black & White).  It's available on Etsy, at Arcane Comics, and at the Fantagraphics Store & Gallery (both in Seattle).



No comments: