Friday, June 23, 2017

Tim Drake : The Forgotten Robin

With today being the 28th Anniversary of "Batman" (1989) I thought it was only fitting that I reintroduce the public to the Robin of that very era, Tim Drake (Robin III).  

I barely knew who Jason Todd (Robin II) was before he died in "A Death in the Family", but that storyline captured my imagination in a way few DC books had at the time and seeing Dick Grayson (Robin I) all grown up and contending with an increasingly violent Bruce in the wake of Jason's death and some pesky kid who just wanted to help in the follow-up storylines "A Lonely Place of Dying" & "Batman : Year 3" probably made a batfan for life out of me.  

Tim was my Robin from then on, up until the New 52 and the rise, however wrongheaded post-Grant Morrison, of Damian Wayne.  I'm not sure what he's up to these days.  I know his origin is pretty unnecessarily mangled by reboots and retcons and that he's in the current "Detective" series, but all I'm reading is Scott Snyder's Batman stuff these days and I seriously doubt he'll be showing up in either "All Star" or "Metal".

I guess what will always keep Tim relevant is how successful his costume revamp was.  Once in a great while a comic book reader will see an artist draw a flashback or a retro tale with Dick in the classic elf shoes and green short-pants, but more often than not any nod to the Robin's past is drawn with the Tim costume.  It served as Dick's Robin costume in "Batman : The Animated Series" and "Batman Forever" and was even worn by Stephanie Brown in her brief time as a Robin.

Well, kick back and enjoy a viewing of "Batman" (1989) tonight and remember Tim Drake!!  Or better yet, do that, then have yourself a listening party of Radiohead's reissue of "OK Computer (1997-2017 OKNOTOK)" with 11 newly-unearthed and remastered tracks from the era.  It's truly incredible music and I hope its rock n' roll soul treats you as well as it's treating me.

Check out my comic book, Spinner-Rack #1 (80 Pages / Black & White).  It's available on Etsy, at Arcane Comics, & at the Fantagraphics Store & Gallery







No comments: