Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Superman Red / Superman Blue : Silver Age Sensibilities in the 1990s...

It was a time after his death, a time after the reign of his imitators, a time after the super-mullet... Heck, it was even a time after the original launch of Supes going electric blue. 

It also happened to be right around the time that newsstand distribution of comic books where I was living all but dried up and the lone comic shop in Rapid City, South Dakota I knew of closed its doors.  

So, I never got to read this wild era of the 1990s when Superman split to Red & Blue and given the creators involved I've remained curious all these years about the art, story, and connection to the Silver Age story that inspired it.  I also honestly love the costume design, despite it looking like something meant for a Speed Force character. 

With any luck, DC's much-improved collected editions program will offer some chunky paperbacks collecting the run sooner or later, but until then I drew up the Clarks while the mood struck me (wonder if there WAS a Clark in all that jazz?).  

Finally, it didn't occur to me until I was writing this but while he didn't design either costume, artist Ron Frenz got to premiere 2 MAJOR costume revamps of iconic characters with Superman #123 and years before in Amazing Spider-Man #252 (both below with Blue/Red reference).  Wow!  Lucky guy, like the suits or not...

Buy the Spinner-Rack Mini-Comic + Sketch of your choice on Etsy.









No comments:

Blog Archive