Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Farewell to a wonderful friend...

I found out yesterday that my first and oldest friend in Seattle had recently passed away and I just wanted to express and celebrate what a beautiful soul he was.  

I still remember that first time we struck up a conversation at Ruby in the U District and our ongoing "Josh 1 OR Josh 2" decisions when we'd meet people while out together from then on.  His zest and vigor for life was matched only by the generosity, kindness, comfort, and warmth he radiated to all of us who knew him.  

Whether it was sharing many a fun-filled night at the Cha-Cha Lounge or talking movies and tv while he worked his wizardry in the kitchen, he was the kind of friend I could always count on for insight, honesty, and humor.  I'll never forget the power of his encouragement and infectiously outgoing attitude when I was in a tough emotional spot or the playful delight he took in exploiting my fear of the Xenomorph from "Alien".   

He brought a contagious joy and energy to our entire circle of friends on Rock Band Tuesdays and taught us all how to sing and play that game with a little more soul.  As a testament, I don't think any of us will ever hear "The Crystal Ship" again without thinking back on him with a smile.   

The guy was a character, but more importantly, he had character.  I only wish I could have been as good a friend to him as he was to me.  Anyone who knew him will miss him terribly, but I hope he's now in a better place with the peace he deserves.

Rest In Peace
Joshua Rodman
1982 - 2017

No comments: